Debt Counselling Centre
Christ Church supports those struggling with debt through our CAP Debt Centre.
Christ Church have been working in partnership with Christians Against Poverty since 2009 when we opened our CAP Debt Centre. Since then we have helped hundreds of clients and their families on their journey out of debt. Leyla Fellows, our Centre Manager, co-ordinates our amazing team of committed volunteers in order to offer the following services:
- Qualified Debt Coaches: Each client has at least three home visits from their Debt Coach who will then liaise with CAP Head Office on their behalf and provide them with a recommended route out of debt.
- A team of “Befrienders”: Every client is offered a “Befriender”. Someone who will offer friendship, encouragement and support throughout their journey out of debt.
- CAP Café: This runs fortnightly and offers clients the opportunity to find friendship and support as we meet for lunch.
- Fortnightly food parcels, Christmas and summer hampers.
- Prayer – every client is offered prayer on each visit.
- Links to church – clients may be invited to Messy Church, Jigsaw, other events as appropriate.
Have a look at our lovely video to see the impact CAP has had for one of our local families.
How you can access help from our CAP Centre
If you are struggling with debt then please make use of our free service and contact Leyla on 07530 900957 or by email at Leylafellows@capuk.org to see how you can access our help.
How you can get involved in supporting our CAP Centre
There are many opportunities to support our work whether you are able to give your time or not.
If you can give your time
- Prayer: join us for our prayer meetings and CAP briefings which happen three times each year.
- Become a Befriender: you can either volunteer as a Befriender who accompanies the Debt Coach on the client visits or become an ongoing Befriender. Ongoing Befrienders are paired with a client and develop a supportive friendship over the course of the client’s journey with CAP.
- Help our CAP Café team. You can volunteer as a regular helper or for specified dates helping with transport, catering, setting up, clearing up, or serving the clients.
If time is a problem:
- Prayer: pray for our clients and Leyla and our team.
- Money: You can support us financially with a regular monthly donation or a single gift. No amount is too small to be appreciated and make a difference to the service we are able to provide.
- Donations of food: there is a box at the back of church where you can put non-perishable items for our food parcels.
To find out more please contact Leyla on 07530 900 957 or by email at Leylafellows@capuk.org
Job Roles available with CAP
When Leyla Fellows moves on from her CAP Centre Manager role at the end of April, one of our current debt coaches Rosie Brydon will take on an interim Centre Manager role. Bearing in mind this change and with the likelihood of an increase in the number of clients accessing CAP services we are seeking to fill the following roles – CAP Centre Manager and Volunteer Debt Coach.
Anyone interested should send a letter of application, together with an up to date CV and details of two referees to Paul Peterson. Email: paulpeterson@