Messy Church is a kind of church service, which gets more popular by the year. Our Messy Church usually meets on the third Wednesday of the month, from 4.30pm – 6.30pm, Parish Hall, North Street, Downend BS16 5SG.
How does it work?
Arrive at the hall at around 4.30pm, hang up your coats, get your name badge and then explore the different crafts and games on offer, at your own pace. Try things out together. Have a cup of tea, and get to know other families and make friends.
At about 5.25pm we all go to the Youth Hub for the Worship time. This time is fun and interactive, catching the children’s imagination but also challenging adults. The main aim is to help everyone discover how much they are loved by God, how much he has done for them through Jesus, and how much he has planned for their lives if they turn to him.
Then we return to the hall, where, amazingly, the glitter and glue are cleared away and the tables are set for food. Sharing food is a powerful thing, an act of worship in itself, as we all eat tea together. We are often joined by other family members coming back from work, and families get to enjoy a home cooked meal, so that all they have to do before bed is take home all the lovely crafts they made. (And possibly wipe off a bit of clay or paint!)
What makes it Messy?
- It’s not on a Sunday –it’s for families who don’t fit that traditional pattern of being able to get up and go to church on a Sunday morning. For people who need to spend Sunday morning seeing granny, doing the weekly shopping, or cheering children on in swimming baths or football pitches. They may want to worship but don’t know how to fit it into the weekend.
- It’s literally messy! We do lots of messy crafts, which help adults and children explore faith by playing and doing. Many people big and small, prefer to learn through doing, rather than listening.
- It’s for people who aren’t all sorted and secure in their beliefs – for families who might feel a strong sense of God being there, but they’re not sure: they’d like to explore more together. And it’s also for any family that enjoys having fun together during the week in worship as well as on a Sunday.
What makes it Church?
- It’s not a club, it’s worship. We worship through sharing together over crafts, singing, stories, and food, lots of home cooked, yummy food!
How can you join in?
No need to book, just turn up and try it out. We don’t charge for Messy Church but donations for future meals keep us afloat if you can help. If anyone in the family has a special diet, please get in touch before the day to discuss. If you use facebook, you can join each month’s event via this page https://www.facebook.com/MessyChurchCCD/
Facilities: baby changing, accessible loo and level access.
When is it happening?
- 18 March 2020 ( Cancelled due to risks of Corona Virus)
- 22 April 2020
- 20 May 2020
- 10th June 2020
- 15th July 2020
- 16 September 2020
- 21 October 2020
- 18 November 2020
- 2 December 2020
Want to know more?
Contact Anita Dobson, Discipleship for All Ages on tel: 07753233950 or email: email@example.com or
Helen Buick, Head of Children’s Ministry, 07817077141 or firstname.lastname@example.org